Friday, August 21, 2015

Downstairs stoner neighbor's perspective: Rock vs. Jazz.

So, I ran into my one stoner neighbor from the first floor front apartment the other week.

"My dad said he was talking with you," I was like.

"Who was your dad?", he was like, and after I told him, he was like, "Oh, so that's who that old guy smoking outside was, I couldn't figure that out."

"And you just talked to him anyway?", I was like.

"Yeah, bro," he was like.  "He was nice.  I mean, like, why not, bro."

He then said that my dad was interested in how he was a musician, and I asked him about his gigs.

He started telling me about how they got someone cool to sub in, which confused me since I thought that his band had a stable line-up, which also included his roommate.

He said they do, but with jazz groups, you work your way up by getting known to be quality and having better and better people coming to play with you.

"That's why jazz is so much better than rock," my neighbor was like.  "You hear all these people, one person quits and their band breaks up, that never happens with jazz, people just rotate in and out."

He added that that variety was a lot of fun, too.

No comments: