Monday, June 15, 2015

Distinctions among Latin Americans?.

I'm not sure if this is my limited sample size or what, but the more professional/well-educated Latin Americans I meet in the U.S., the more I respect some countries but not others:

- Chileans seem like nice normal people, very down-to-earth and relatable, and it's just not clear at all what social class they're from (and in fact I'd guess they're not very elite, from the way that they dress, since they tend to seem dumpy on the whole).

- Venezuelans seem like assholes, w/all the professionals being from reactionary elites and acting very entitled to privilege to the point where they don't even realize it (which is part of why whenever I meet someone from Venezuela, I'm automatically like, "Oh, Venezuela!, I love Chavez," and I grab their forearms and give it an admiring squeeze as I say that I love Chavez, and then I look confused and ask dumb questions when they start going off on how he ruined the country).

- Like Venezuelans - and I'm saying this based on a sample size of one - Colombians also seem very entitled, like they somehow deserve all their privilege that they have from a society w/huge wealth inequalities and a history of a handful of elites massively f*cking over everyone else.

- Mexicans seem solid, since many get advanced degrees b/c of the country's free university education (which is a whole separate phenomenon from the children-of-the-filthy rich thing, I'm also certain?)...  Interestingly, even these educated people seem resigned to the status of their country as a worsening oligarchy, though they seem to constitute an entire class of educated but not extremely privileged people.

- Brazilians are very aware of class differences, and seem embarrassed about it when you bring it up w/them, like their country could be doing better and they're ashamed of it.

With all of this, I'm just talking about the more professional/well-educated Latin Americans I meet.  I also meet a lot of Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and Salvadoreans and even occasionally some Brazilians who aren't too well-educated or in white collar professions, and I tend to uniformly like them.

With the Mexico sample, I also wonder if there's a lower travel costs thing happening b/c of our shared border, or family connections that bring many of these type of people to the country, than with people from South America.

No comments: