Saturday, May 2, 2015

A very odd moment at a grocery store bar.

Last Saturday night I rolled into the Whole Foods bar just as they were closing up, and the bartender sold me a bottle but said I couldn't drink it at the bar, though I could at the cafe.

I sat on a stool at the window watching the world go by at 9pm at night, and here and there a person was eating at a table in the brightly lit but otherwise spare and desolate cafe area behind me to my right.

Suddenly, Blondie's "Atomic" comes on, and a bit into the song I look over, and there's an older, well-dressed, broadly-built Asian-American woman with a floppy purple hat and glasses on just hunched over a dark brown cardboard box of food, stuffing her face out of it, and I notice behind her that the glass walled room is a teaching space for visiting celebrity chefs.

At that very moment, I was overwhelmed by a sense of visceral disgust, and a feeling that our country is doomed.

What has our country come to?

Once it produced "Atomic", and now just look around.

No comments: