Monday, April 6, 2015

Michigander on empties.

The other day I was at a winebar in a downtown yuppie grocery store and the chatty (white) (young) (female) bartender turned out to be from Michigan, and she said something about how the biggest thing she had to get used to since starting to live in the city was that empties weren't worth a dime each.

"Honestly, after a party, you'd take the empties in, and they'd pay for your next party!", she was like.

While I was there, some (very rich-looking) (monolingual) (white) people also couldn't manage to order from her for some reason, and when I found out that they spoke Spanish, I mediated the interaction and ordered a single glass of sweet white wine for them.

I also spoke with them some, and they turned out to be (rich) tourists from Argentina.

"Como el Papa," I was like.

("Like the pope.")

The woman said that they spend 2 weeks in a single city every year for vacation, to really get to know it, and they struck me as a bit snooty, esp. the guy, who didn't pay attention to me at all or even attempt to be sociable, though I went out of my way to help his wife get a glass of wine in a foreign land.

So, I kept waiting for them to ask me where I learned Spanish, so I could say to them with a straight face, "He dormido con muchos Mexicanos."

("I have slept with many Mexicans.")

Unfortunately, they didn't.

Also, I found it odd that in the downtown yuppie grocery store's 2 winebars, both (white) (young) (female) (kinda fat) bartenders had this starfucker thing going on where they obviously loved working there like it made them rich, though they both were being paid shit.

No comments: