Friday, December 12, 2014

Neighborhood Stories: Produce Limits.

Later that same day at the grocery store, I saw there was a sale on cauliflower (limit 5 lbs. maximum), so I got 3 heads for myself since whenever I make curry, I like a lot of cauliflower in it.

I used the metal scale hanging from the ceiling and it indicated just a tad over 5 lbs., but I didn't know what to think, since the last time when I was over by the other end of the produce area weighing oranges that were on sale, the scale said I was exactly at the limit, but the scale built into register in the check-out area actually indicated I had 4.75 lbs, like a quarter pound under what I thought I had.

Nevertheless, when I was in the checkout, I told the cashier I had just around 5lbs and maybe a bit more, but I wasn't sure because of the scale.

"That's okay," she was like.  "Let's see."

As it turns out, I had 5.23 lbs.

"So what happens now?", I was like.  "Do I pay a higher price for everything over five pounds?".

"No, you're fine," she was like, and then she hit some button on the register, and it showed on the computer screen that I got everything for the sale price.

"Thanks," I was like.  "I wouldn't normally do that, but I do use three heads of cauliflower for a recipe I like, and these were the best ones, and as close to five pounds as I could get."

"We worry more about people taking twenty," she was like, and then explained that they instituted the rule to keep local (Chinese) people from buying vast quantities of sale produce for use in their restaurants.

No comments: