Friday, September 19, 2014

Crosswords run in my family.

When I was visiting my parents over Labor Day, I needed an eraser for the puzzles I was doing and asked my mom where I could get one, and she got me the one that my dad keeps out for doing crossword puzzles by the TV.
“Though I’ll need to use it less than him,” I was like.
Then, I asked when he exactly he had started to do crossword puzzles, anyhow.
“Ever since he retired,” she was like, then paused.  
“Wait, it goes farther back than that.  He used to do them at lunch back at [the Catholic high school he worked at and I went to].  Everyone used to gather around and do them, especially [the math teacher’s last name] and [the history teacher’s last name].”
Then, she said that sometimes even “that asshole priest” would join in if he was around the high school campus at lunch time, “though once the answer to a clue was ‘bordello’ and he got real quiet and didn’t say anything.”
(My mom calls this one then-40-year-old priest with a moustache and an authoritarian complex and trouble relating to people “that asshole priest”, though sometimes if he’s around my dad will defend him and say he’s not all bad.)

No comments: