Friday, August 15, 2014

Conversation: Neighborhood lemonade stand.

The other Sunday before heading to the grocery store I went to go return a book to the local library branch dropbox – the Japanese sci-fi novel the movie “Edge of Tomorrow” was based on, it was so good I couldn’t put it down and I finished it in one day! – and as I was walking up the street there, there was a mom and 2 girls with a lemonade stand.

The mom was (white) and a bit fat and had tats up on one of her shoulders, and one of the kids looked like her but the other didn’t and must have been her daughter’s friend.

It was a super-nice lemonade stand, too, with a table cloth and nice-looking plastic cups like at a wedding reception and multiple signs with printed graphics around each letter of the word “L – E – M – O – N – A – D – E” taped up against the black metal fence behind their table, and another print-out on the table itself, saying “[daughter’s name]’S LEMONADE STAND – 50 CENTS”, with the second girl’s name written in nicely with black magic marker beneath the first so that the business was a joint production of the daughter and her friend.

“Buy some lemonade!”, one of the girls shouted.

“Okay,” I was like.  “Man, this is a nice lemonade stand!  Has business been good?”.

“Oh yeah,” the mom was like.  “We’ve only been out since it stopped raining, but it’s been good.  After church today they kept bugging me to do it and I said we couldn’t because of the rain and then I said we wouldn’t have anyone come, but they were sick of pizza and videos, so here we are!”.

“Very cool,” I was like.  “A lemonade stand’s always fun.  What videos were you guys watching?”.

Saw,” the one girl was like.

Saw?!”, I was like.

“Noooooo, Saw Two!”, the second girl butted in to correct the first.

“Wow,” I was like.  “Isn’t that a little gruesome?”

“Yeah, a little,” the first girl was like, sinking back in her seat and kind of smiling mischievously.


…I have no idea what the hell that mom was thinking, letting kids watch that shit…

No comments: