Sunday, August 10, 2014

At a restaurant-bar in the wealthy part of town.

On Monday I was at a restaurant-bar in a wealthy part of town.

The place is a high-end chain with several locations (NYC, a few in LA, here), and was filled with lots of people, many of whom seemed to be younger (white) women in tight black dresses.

The space was odd since it was on the 2nd floor with a 3rd floor rooftop patio and you had to walk into a foyer area and take an elevator up, and after I finished my drink and went downstairs, I discovered it was heavily raining outside, and me and a (hispanic) guy in a patterned wifebeater waited in the vestibule looking out for a break in the rain.

We started chit-chatting, and it turns out that he was a just off-shift worker at the restaurant and originally from Guatamala and lived out by the one regional airport.

"Like by [name of major street]?", I was like.

"Yes," he was like.

"Like by [names of 2 bars]?", I was like.

"Yes!", he was like, surprised that I knew the bars.

We then started talking about bars and clubs, and it turns out that he likes a lot of the swankier clubs downtown, including one that I've been meaning to go to that has a $20 cover except on Mondays.

"But don't they have a $20 cover?", I was like.

"Yes", he was like, "But if you know a person, they put you on a list."

"What is the crowd like, anyway?", I said.

He didn't understand the word 'crowd', so I then rephrased the question till it was something like "What type of people go there?".

"Mostly white," he said, amicably.

Later, some other workers were getting off shift and waited in the entryway, and one, a short, kind of husky, older (Mexican) guy with a bit of a fauxhawk, went out and stood underneath the big umbrella set up by the unmanned valet stand.

Then, 2 couples came down, including a (middle-aged) overtanned (white) guy in white pants and with a little bit of a paunch, and he strode out through the rain to the valet stand.

"You work here?", he asked the (Mexican) guy.

"I am not working now," the (Mexican) guy was like, and at that the (middle aged) overtanned (white) guy turned around to walk back to the door, throwing him a middle finger behind his back.

I wonder if the Guatamalan guy saw that; I'm pretty sure he did.

No comments: