Friday, July 11, 2014

Chatting up an AA office manager.

So for my cults class I'll soon be teaching at the art school, I went around and spoke with 9+ non-manipulative religious movements in order to see about the possibility of an open, long-term relationship where students could come and do site visits both in the upcoming and in future semesters.

One of those organizations was Alcoholics Anonymous, to which I made a drop-in call at their downtown office, where the (older) (black) lady at the front desk sent me in to speak with their (good-looking) (late 30s?) (Latina) office manager.

The office manager was very very kind and helpful and open, and at the end of our chat, she was like, "And hopefully this will help remove some of the stigma, too, and people will be able to see that alcoholism is something that affects many people, young and old."

Then, she paused and looked at me.

"You know, I've been a member of AA since I was 23."

"So you've only been in AA, what, two years?", I was like, winking, and at that she laughed.

. . .

Now that I think about it, I should have said something about how odd of them it was to give her such an important job when she was only 2 years sober.

No comments: