Friday, May 30, 2014

Jogging surprises: Park wildlife.

This one park just north of my apartment is a few hills with an old water-filled quarry between, and much of the hillsides covered in native prairie grass, with pathways and staircases all around on top of them.

 It’s a great place to jog, since otherwise the city doesn’t have many hills...  I like to go down onto the dock sticking out into the quarry-lake, then run uphill to the top of one hill, where there’s also a great view of the skyline.

In any case, I’ve seen a lot of egrets and some ducks and a few Canadian geese on the lake – like a week ago one was sitting on the dock and hissed at me when I jogged around the first time, so I made noises and stomped the 2nd time I came by and scared it off the dock and into the lake – and there’s always rabbits on the hillsides, and occasionally I see people’s cats wander through the fields.

Also, like 2 weeks ago, I was going on this pathway by the quarry, and something dark on the path started moving right in front of me and I flipped my shit, though it was only a big garter snake, I realized, after a second.

Then, like a week ago, during a light rain, there was a garter snake on the path going down into the quarry between the hills, and another one on the path that gradually ascends cross-ways up the side of the big hill.

It’s kind of cool that the prairie habitat that the parks department put in provides all that shelter for snakes and other animals.

No comments: