Saturday, April 19, 2014

Nice Commuter Rail Ride to Wisconsin: 2 Nice People.



The other week when I went up to Wisconsin to help get-out-the-vote for a woman I know running for county board – it was like a reunion from the Obama campaign! – two very nice people helped me:

1) Right before I went through the door into the commuter rail station, I picked up a free newspaper and tucked it under my arm, and as I moved my bike into the foyer past the slid-open electronically-triggered door, some advertising papers fell out of the free newspaper and onto the ground.

Some (middle-aged) (working class) white guy coming the other direction immediately picked them up and handed them to me, the Subway coupon flier that had been inside the newspaper happening to be on top of the pile he was handing me. 

“In case you want to go to Subway, ha,” he was like.

2) On the train, a (slightly skittish and perhaps mildly mentally ill) (stringy) (older) (black) guy ahead of me hit the automatic door opener and as I waited for him to pass in, he gestured to the door and waved me and my bike on board and was like, “Nah, I did that for you, man.”

No comments: