Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dream of the Library.



The other week I dreamt of the main library on campus.

I was descending the central staircase into the lobby, and lights were dimmed throughout, and circulation was at an oval shaped modern desk in the middle, and the one (African-American) (female) supervisor was sitting there, and the clock was at like 4:13pm, and I knew that the library was closing early at 5pm that day and that circ closed at 4:15pm, but when I went to check out my books that I really needed for my dissertation before the long weekend started, she said she couldn’t, since circ closed at 4:15pm, and no matter how much I asked, she wouldn’t do it.

The worst was that she looked impatient for vacation to start and I knew that she had to be there through 5pm, but it made no sense at all that she’d refuse to check out books to me, since it wasn’t like she was doing anything.

Part of me wondered, then, if she had already shut down the computer system a few minutes early, and just didn’t feel like starting it up again.

No comments: