Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trip Home (23 of 23): Back to the city.

When the train arrived, I went to the wrong end, then had to hustle down to the car on the other end of the train, and when I got on board, the forward-facing seats were full, so I ended up plopping down next to this (white) guy around my age.

When the (black) (female) conductor came around and asked for tickets, he didn't even acknowledge her in any way, but kept doing something on his iPhone, and she asked again, and he just did that, not acknowledging her, and I was so confused, and was like, "Hey, she's asking for tickets," in a tone of voice slightly louder than her.

Finally, he pulled up his ticket on his iPhone and gave it to her to scan, and she went on.

Later, I was in the cafe car and the (black) (female) conductor was there, and so I told her that I was so sorry that that guy was rude to her, and that I wasn't associated with him at all, I just happened to sit down there.

"I was wondering that," she was like.  "I thought you were with him at first, but then it seemed like you weren't."

Then, she was like, "That man was an asshole.  I was this close to asking him to get off the train.  I can do that, you know."

No comments: