Sunday, September 15, 2013

Trip Home (6 of 13): Memory right before left.

The French are assholes.

Like a few days before I left on vacation, the subway was pretty packed, and I was next to this Moroccan-looking guy with a city tourist guidebook, so I started talking to him, and it turns out that he was indeed a tourist, only from France, and his parents are from the West Indies and Spain, but even in France people always think he's Moroccan, since he just looks that way.

(Moroccans are lovely people.)

Anyways, I was talking with the guy about different tourist sites, and after I mentioned that the city is like 1/5 Mexican and there's some really cool neighborhoods, the French guy (who spoke Spanish, thanks to his one Spanish parent) responded to my kind suggestion and just kind of pronounced, "I didn't come to the U.S. to speak Spanish."

That's what he said, verbatim, only in a very thick French accent.

What an asshole.

No comments: