Thursday, September 19, 2013

Trip Home (10 of 13): Spanish is taking over.

Several appliances of my parents recently failed, and my mom reiterated her wish to know enough Spanish to be able to read an appliance handbook in it, or to use the Spanish option on the credit card machine when she's checking out of the supermarket.

"Why that?", I was like.

"Because it'd be cool," she'd be like.

My parents saw how I was trying to read the free daily Spanish newsmag from my city - I had brought a few copies with me to read some articles and catch up; they have *great* coverage of local and national politics - and my dad said I should try talking with the people cutting down and trimming trees nearby for the power company.

"I think they speak Spanish," my dad was like. "They're so hardworking."

No comments: