Thursday, September 12, 2013

Trip Home (3 of 13): Post-train wait.

After I got off the train and the bus connection to the town where my friends from home were picking me up on their way north, I walked to a local Middle Eastern restaurant, and got something to eat, then sat out front on their patio to have some rice pudding and coffee and do some Latin.

After like 20 minutes, an (elderly) (black) lady walks out with her food to get a table and asks me what I'm doing, and I tell her Latin, and in particular prepping a saint's life of a converted prostitute, and I tell her how a monk in disguise hires her in order to convert her, and as she takes him from room to room in the brothel and he keeps asking her for something more hidden, she finally stops and says, "If you're trying to hide from the eyes of men, we are safe, but if you are trying to hide from the eyes of God, you can never escape" - which is the seed that he uses to convert her.

"Isn't that just beautiful," she was like.

Later, the woman's sister comes out, and she just couldn't stop saying how great it was that I did Latin and made some sort of a living off it.

"But then again," she was like, "I'm a harpist, and there's not much room for me in the modern world, either."

No comments: