Saturday, August 17, 2013

Groovin’.



(Black) people at bars in the city really love the Robin Thicke pop song “Blurred Lines”.

Every time I’ve seen it come on the sound system at a bar, practically every (black) person there just starts grooving, putting their hands up in the air and moving about to the rhythm while sitting on their bar stools.

One (older) (black) (retired) woman who I met who DJs a few days a week (“Erma”) said she much prefers “Blurred Lines” to Daft Punk’s 70s-flavored “Get Lucky”, and agreed with my description of “Get Lucky” as “bland”, though she didn’t know that Nile Rodgers was involved with the song.

“My music really is rock, though,” she was like.  “I just get home and I put Pink Floyd on, but here you can’t do that, you have to play something smooth, for the audience.  I play for them, not for me.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They also liked it the first time, when Marvin Gaye wrote it.