Friday, August 30, 2013

Conservative Catholic Book (8 of 8): Seminary complaints.



From Michael S. Rose’s “Goodbye! Good Men: How Catholic Seminaries Turned Away Two Generations of Vocations from the Priesthood” (2002) (p. 227):

[Father John Trigilio remembers that h]is Latin breviary got him in trouble too [at St. Mark’s High School Seminary in Erie, Pennsylvania, in the late 1970s.]

“Sometimes I’d get a knock on the door of my room late at night, and one of the upperclassmen would slide a copy of ‘Playboy’ under my door.  This was the common way to circulate these magazines, but I would slide it right back out.  A few days later one of my high school teachers, a priest, asked me why I had a copy of the Latin breviary and the 1917 Code of Canon Law in Latin.  He asked me how I could read all this if I just started taking Latin this year, and followed that up by instructing me that 14-year-old boys shouldn’t be praying in Latin and reading the Code of Canon Law.  He told me that I ought to be ‘reading’ ‘Playboy’s like the other guys.

. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awful.