Thursday, August 29, 2013

Conservative Catholic Book (7 of 8): Seminary complaints.



From Michael S. Rose’s “Goodbye! Good Men: How Catholic Seminaries Turned Away Two Generations of Vocations from the Priesthood” (2002) (pp. 209-210):

[Father William H. Hinds] related that homosexuality was looked upon kindly at [Cincinnati’s] Athenaeum.  “There was a group of seminarians,” he explained by way of example, “who would be sitting around watching the television show ‘Falcon Crest’, and every time one particular actress came on camera they would whoop and shriek and do all this kind of stuff – acting effeminate, imitating the woman.”

. . .

Hinds also recalled another incident: he complained about a fellow seminarian hanging a large poster of transvestite pop singer Boy George on the outside of the door to his dormitory room.  “Anybody who’s walking along the hallway would see this picture of Boy George with the eye shadow and painted face,” he explained, “so I brought it up one time in a meeting.  How is everyone going to know that is not the door to *my* room?  Then, to make my point I said, why don’t I take that poster and put it on the rector’s door?  Would *that* be appropriate, I asked?  I got called to the carpet for that.”

. . .

No comments: