Monday, July 15, 2013

What a nice person: Hot dog vendor.

Walking to school across the park from the subway the other day, there was this hotdog stand set up in a lovely shaded area on the edge of the park with an older (black) woman staffing it, and 2 teenage (black) girls as well.

Since it was just before lunch, I stopped and got a hotdog to eat, and the teenage girl had a hard time finding change for my 20 (it was unfortunate, I didn't have anything less to pay for my $2.50 hotdog with!).

Meanwhile, I was talking with the older (black) woman running the stand, and when I asked her if she was [name of the woman] in the business title ("[woman's name]'s Hotdogs"), she was like, "No, that's my grandmaw, I'm a grandmaw's girl."

She then introduced herself (either "Lakweeta" or "Takweeta", I forget), and was telling me that this was their 2nd summer and they had opened last Monday, and that during the winter she worked in the special Christmas restaurant of a downtown department store.

"That's some good money," she was like.

Finally, when the girl came up to her to ask if she had change for a 20, she was like, "No I don't, Ray didn't come yet," and after calling out to the other girl and asking her to call Ray, she turned to me and was like, "Can you just pay next time you come by?", and I promised to pay her the following Tuesday, since I'd walk by there before lunch when they'd be open already.

After I finished my hotdog at a table they had set up near the stand, one of the younger (black) girls came up and asked me if everything was okay, and I introduced myself before I left.

One of the 2 said that the owner was her aunt, not her mom, but I'm still not sure the relation of the other girl.

Also, there were some older (black) men in dress shirts and porkpie hats getting out of a nearby car to go to a park building right before I left, and the older (black) woman called out to them, "Hey fellows, any of you got change for a twenty?", though none did.

No comments: