Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Poles came through!


I found out the other week that I won a partial tuition scholarship from a foundation that gives money to Polish-Americans...  I had applied back in January, and had even had to assemble a family tree of my Polish side tracing all known ancestors back to Poland, and supply a letter of attestation from a well-known member of my community vouching for the truthfulness of my family tree.

I called my parents right away, and my (Polish-American) mom answered.

“The Poles came through!”, I was like, and I told her all about the scholarship.

“And you know what?”, I was like, “Not only did the Hungarians not give me shit, but they don’t even have a foundation.”

Then, I asked where my (Hungarian-American) father was.

Right away, my mom told me he was busy and was like, “Don’t even say that, he’s in a bad mood today.”

No comments: