Thursday, July 4, 2013

Priests in Love (9 of 11): Cruising Difficulties.



From Jane Anderson’s “Priest in Love: Roman Catholic Clergy and Their Intimate Friendships” (a book of interviews with Australian priests) (p. 173):

“Lydia was this ex-religious who was working with the homeless.  I would contact her if I found someone who needed help.  Sometimes I met these people near the [city] toilets [where I cruised].”  Occasionally, she would pop into the presbytery.

“One night when she visited, I was in a terrible state, almost on the edge of a nervous breakdown.  Everything was building up.  I just felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness, frustration, isolation.  I felt like I was falling apart.  Nothing made sense anymore.  Lydia saw that I was a bit strained and asked if I felt well.  Then I burst into the longest, deepest spell of sobbing.  I really felt I would crack in two.  The months went by, and she visited me several times, trying to get some idea of what to do...

“Lydia and I talked about it, and she said, ‘Look I have tried to think of what to do.  It seems to me that you desperately need a personal friend.  I know you are getting help, but that doesn’t seem to be enough.  Look, I’m willing to be that friend; I’m willing to commit myself to be there for you as a friend.’

“I remember sitting there in a kind of numbed misery.  Then she came over to me.  She said that she was about to make a gesture to reassure me that she would not abandon me.  Something in me knew she meant well, that I could trust her.

“She hugged me and kissed me with great feeling.  Then she asked if she could touch me.  I said yes.  So she loosened my clothing, and fondled me intimately.”

. . .

(The book goes on to specify that that was the beginning of a journey of healing, since for the priest it made sex less impersonal, and part of his humanity.)

No comments: