Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Priests in Love (8 of 11): Gay Priests.



From Jane Anderson’s “Priest in Love: Roman Catholic Clergy and Their Intimate Friendships” (a book of interviews with Australian priests) (p. 159):

“About eighteen months before I left, one of my ordination classmates decided to reveal to us that he was gay...

“But beyond his own revelation, he went on to tell me another story which further expanded my understanding of how priests around me were struggling with their own particular problems.  He said that during what he called a down period of his life he was out on the streets looking for companions when he came across another member of our ordination class doing the same...  I had always presumed that this other fellow had the question of women and celibacy under better control than I.  Now I realised that it simply was not his concern.”

. . .

No comments: