Sunday, June 23, 2013

Christine Jorgensen’s Memoirs (2 of 4): Chicago Visit.



From Christine Jorgensen’s “Christine Jorgensen: A Personal Autobiography” (p. 209; respaced from original):

From Indiana [where I visited Dr. Alfred Kinsey], I stopped off in Chicago for a day or two to visit my uncle... 

Due to a huge market convention, hotel rooms were at a premium in Chicago, and I stood in line to register at one of the city’s big hotels.  A lady in front of me asked for a room and was told by the clerk, “There might be one available in the women’s section of the YWCA – if you’re Christine Jorgensen.” 

I stepped forward and said, quietly, “I’m Christine Jorgensen and I’d rather stay here, if possible.” 

His discomfort was marvelous to behold.  He flushed to a shocking pink, and after a long pause, hurried to arrange an accommodation.

. . .

No comments: