Saturday, May 11, 2013

Conversation with a Venezuelan.


The other Friday at the student bar I went to go meet a friend and I ran into this one Venezuelan philosophy Ph.D. student I know.

We chit-chatted a bit about how shitty the job market is and how out of touch professors are, and then I started asking him about Bergoglio.

“So what do you think of the new pope?”, I was like.  “Isn’t he from Venezuela?”.

He wasn’t clear that I was joking, so then I clarified that I knew that he was from Venezuela, but the pope was from Argentina.

“Minnesota?”, the philosophy Ph.D. student was like.  “Minnesota?” 

Then, he said that’s what a lot of people ask him, after he says he’s from Venezuela.

He also said that even though he doesn’t practice, he’s happy the new pope is from Latin America, but that Argentinians tend to be pedantic.

After that, I asked him what he thought about Cesar Chavez, and just when he began to correct me, I was like, “I know, I know, it’s Hugo Chavez, just kidding.”

Then, we talked about Venezuelan politics, and he said that it’s complicated because the issues don’t break down into a clear left and clear right like they do here; there, Chavez was correct in his judgment to help the poor, but he was also fascist and suppressed the press, so that made it harder for the left to support him.

The conversation went on for like 20 minutes in this very serious vein, and then my friend who I had planned on meeting arrived and we went to go move into another room of the bar to meet some other people, so me and the philosophy Ph.D. student kind of had to abruptly wrap up the conversation about Venezuelan politics.

“Well,” I was like, “I still think it’s a good thing that California grape workers can go on strike.”

“My friend,” the philosophy Ph.D. student was like, “You know that is not funny, that this is a serious issue that is tearing out my heart and the heart of all the Venezuelan people,” and he held my glance with a very serious and reproachful look without blinking while pursing his lips grimly.

No comments: