Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Coda.

After the documentary, I went off to meet a friend at a restaurant with salsa dancing, since she was there with friends and had texted me and I hadn't seen her in a while, and the bar was relatively near my house.

The bar was full and they weren't letting people in, so I texted her and headed to this bar down the street that I hadn't been to, which had been a (Turkish?) restaurant with blue mood lights and blue walls and blue tiles stuck inside the exterior wall, as well as a big evil eye pendant over the bar and its wineracks.

Oddly, when the restaurant closed and re-opened as a neighborhood lower-class whitebar, they kept most of the decor, and it was just people inside with shabby clothing smoking and chatting and watching sports, with no-one sitting in the lounge furniture and leather couches set off by the front window.

The (older) (female) (white) bartender was very nice and at some point asked me not to tell anyone that people smoked in there, and she pointed out some quirks of the building, like how the blowdryer was on the wall outside the restrooms, for example.

What I found most affecting, though, was that "Storage Wars" was on one TV, and I kept wondering if it was still on at the other (black) bar halfway across the city, and whether people were still watching it there too.

No comments: