Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Another Night of Barhopping: Polish dance club for middle-aged and older people.

So the other weekend when it was nice weather out, I took a long bike ride and went to a lot of bars, including a Polish restaurant-bar that had its doors open and music pouring out at like 9:30pm on a Sunday night.

I go in, and it's full of Polish people in their 50s and up, a good number in their 70s, and there's some to the bar in the left, and a lot at white tableclothed tables on the right, and everyone's facing a dance floor, where married couples are dancing to the music of a trio in the corner, a guy with a sax and a guy on a synthesizer and a guy on something else I couldn't see since he was tucked away behind them (maybe another synthesizer?).

One of 2 favorite people was this older blonde (Polish) woman with a giant smile, who was just a little on the fat side, but in a sheer black long-sleeved top that showed her black halter bra underneath, and had long strips of leather the length of her forearm attached all the way around bracelets around each of her arms at the elbow.  I watched her as she led her husband up to dance, and danced happily with him.

My other favorite person was the bartender, this older brunette (Polish) woman with a short brown haircut and also this large carefree smile.

She asked me (in English) what I wanted, and I asked what the cheapest beer was, and she couldn't catch it over the music.

"Dai mi nai-tane pivo," I then said ("Give me the cheapest beer").

"Okay," she was like, still smiling, so I added, "Chladnie mowie po-polsku," with an enthusiastic but slightly apologetic look ("I barely speak Polish").

"Like my kids!", she said laughingly, but not in a mean way, and joyfully whirled around to get me a beer out of the knee-high cooler tucked under the bar.

Later, I watched this older man walk in slowly with a cane, ask me (in Polish) something about a seat, (to which I gestured to him to take the seat next to me), and order a glass of rose wine, and then a couple of ice cubes to chill it.

He downed that mofo in like ten minutes while watching the music, then picked up his cane, slowly got up, turned around, and hobbled out.

No comments: