Friday, March 1, 2013

Regional conference.

A couple weekends ago I went to a regional conference, where I delivered the paper.

The conference is notoriously weaker on the whole than its national counterpart, but the sessions I went to were surprisingly solid and the same quality as national, and I wasn't the only one saying that, it turns out.

The first day me and a couple people who had graduated from my school went out for drinks to the local bar ("The Library"; it's one of those names like "The Store" and "The Office", so you can say, "Hey, I'm going to the store" and put one over on your spouse).

The one younger dynamic prof somehow started talking about how she always checks name pronunciations and the titles of papers before she introduces sessions, and the one time she forgot to do that and went up to intro papers cold, the very first paper title she read was like half unpointed Hebrew.

"What did you do?!?", we were like.

"I just went for it," she said.  "What else can you do?".

She said the paper author later told her she did a very good job, but she's not sure if he said that just to make her feel good.

No comments: