Friday, February 22, 2013

Tutoring is falling apart.

I think tutoring as a way for me to make money is falling apart.

I was able to get enough students to make a go of it for like 1.5 years, but -

- my one homeschooler dropped me.
- my one Latin lawyer got too busy (though he may return).
- my one Greek lawyer meets with me once every 3-4 weeks.
- my one Latin student who's an administrative assistant at school has had to cut down how much he pays me b/c an ongoing family emergency is draining his time and money.
- my one Latin teacher who is re-learning her Greek meets with me every 2-3 weeks, but frequently postpones since she's so busy with work.
- a couple other people (one lawyer, one travel agency guy) only did it for a few months then stopped.

Next year I think I'm going to have to suck it up and teach at school every quarter for income, which really blows.

To this point, I've been eating tuition (they waive tuition for that quarter if you teach, which I don't), which has added on like $4500 to my loans but given me a lot more time to work on my diss and do professionalization stuff.

Teaching is time-consuming, but so would be another job search...

I'm really being incentivized in to a position that leaves me less time for work/professionalization.

What shitty policies this school has.

No comments: