Friday, January 25, 2013

Teaching at the art school! (1 of 3): Fellow faculty.

I'm so stoked to teach my "modern American religious groups that do fucked up things with sex" class at the art school this semester.

Through friends, I've met a lot of MFA students in the past, and they're all really engaged, cool people who tend to get obsessed with interesting things...  I'm not sure that the BFA students are like that - they tend to be from richer families, it seems - but it still should be cool.

At a friend's party at the beginning of the month I met a (young) (white) (female) prof who teaches film, and she said that if you're in film or video, you're pretty much guaranteed to know what all your students look like naked.

"They use themselves as canvas," she was like.

Then, she told me about how she was curating a student film festival competition, and in this one piece, it was a documentary thing about 2 girls in a 3-way relationship, and it ended with them taking what looked like a glass vase but with a hole on the bottom, climbing into the shower naked, and shitting into it from both ends.

Only, the one girl messed up and dropped it while shitting, and the vase shattered, and she just started freaking out and crying uncontrollably because she messed up the take.

Then, the take begins again, and the girls have the largest shards of the glass vase, and they take it into the shower and actually manage to shit into it that time.

"No way," I was like.

"It was very bad," she said, "But I held judgment, and then some students on the committee spoke up and were like, 'This is awful,' and all I could think was, 'Phew!'."

I bit my tongue at that point, because actually, I think that could be a pretty sweet film, if done right.

No comments: