Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Broth - Bag.

This woman who I met at a bar turned out to be a restaurant manager, and we had a very long talk about making vegetable stock and having a garden in the city.

Because I love to cook cheap and with minimum waste, I found her method of keeping a tupperware full of veggie scraps (onion, carrot, and celery ends, garlic and onions skins, etc.) in order to boil them up into veggie stock once a week very inspiring.

So, for like the past month, I collect my vegetable scraps and then boil them down once a week, and for the past several weeks after I cooled the broth, I poured it into a ziploc freezer bag that I kept in my fridge.

The other week when I made lentil soup, though, I had forgotten to thaw out the bag, and so I poured bits of warm water into it before dumping it out into the pot, but I tried to force out the big frozen chunk from the bag too soon, and I tore a small hole in the bag and can't reuse it.

That really bothered me, the waste of that bag.  I had saved that bag from something else in order to reuse it, but because I wasn't careful, I could only reuse it once.

No comments: