Thursday, August 23, 2012

Even more Mexican-Polish interactions!

The other week I went to a soccer game with a (Mexican) engineer a friend used to date, and then I hit up a few bars in the neighborhood after.

The last one I was at this rundown combo liquor store-bar, which was in a 2-flat building and had an opaque square glass block window in front with a blue neon "LIQUOR" sign in it, and in the back there was this thick-built blonde (Polish) woman in her early 40s, who was talking with this (hispanic) couple at the end of the bar, who were picking at food in a styrofoam tray set on the counter in a white plastic shopping bag.

Heavy club music was pounding - some song called something like "Hang on World" - and when the bartender got me a beer, I asked her the name of the bar.

"[initial removed] & [initial removed] Chateau", she was like.

"Why is that?", I was like.

"Because my father is [name starting with the 1st initial] and my mother is [name starting with the second initial]," she was like.

"And the Chateau part?", I was like.

"I don't know, because they felt like this," she shrugged, congenially.

Later, 2 drunk old Polish men came in, one with long brown grizzled hair and a beard, and the other cleancut with a very red nose.

Every once in a while, the one with the long hair would get up and dance around in an exaggerated fashion to the club music, and he and the other guy would laugh.

Eventually, they started talking to me, and I introduced myself (in Polish!), and they were delighted, and the one bought me a 2nd beer.

When he went outside for a smoke, the grizzled one said that he was his brother, and that he drank too much and drove home, and he didn't like that, and that they had been drinking all night.

Then, when the other one came back in from smoking, they said something (in Polish) to the bartender, and she came over and yelled at them for 3 minutes solid (in Polish), and they got shamefaced and drank very quickly, and she turned their back on them, calmed down, and went to the jukebox to put on that "Hang on World" heavy club music song again.

As the guys left, the one was grabbing a sixpack in front and called out and asked me if I was fine for beer, and offered to buy me a 3rd, but I politely refused, and they left.

A few minutes later, a couple (Mexican) guys who were offshift from a mariachi band came in in these white outfits with gold stripes on the side of the pants, said hi to the bartender, and headed to use the restroom in back.

Then, they came up to the counter in the liquor store part and chatted with her as she rang up a couple of sixpacks.

No comments: