Friday, June 15, 2012

Election Day in Wisconsin (9 of 11): Jokes.

One of the people I had canvassed with was a Wisconsin native who now lives in California and runs a doggie daycare who was so upset he flew back to work the Walker recall, to feel like he was doing something.

Later that night, at the union hall, I see him again, and he's talking with this old (white) guy with a Wisconsin accent sitting at the bar, and they're talking about eyepatches, and how each of them is blind in one eye.

"I got into the business years ago after I lost my sight in the one eye," the guy was like.  "The eyepatches they sell are just horrible, so after I had to deal with those for years, I just decided to make them for myself, and then I started selling them to other people."

He then talked about how his friend helped him with the materials and molding, and charged 50 cents an eyepatch.

"Then one day because he's nice, he tell me, 'You can make that eyepatch for ten cents if you want, and I'll tell you how.'  Then, he tells me I got to have them made in China, so you know what I tell him?  No thanks, I would rather keep my money right here."

Then, he says again, "China."

Then, the guy from California starts talking about his vision problem, where his one eyelid is too short.

"But that's better than my cousin," he was like, "He was born with no eyelids at all!".

At that, the older guy shook his head.

"But you know where they can get skin at that age," he was like - and the older guy interrupted him, and was like, "The butt" - but then the guy was like, "No, not there," and holds his one finger out and makes a scissor snip motion with his other hand at the tip.

"Poor fellow ended up cockeyed!".

After we all laughed, he said it wasn't true, but he loves how he has a vision problem and can lead into that joke.

Then, the older guy said how he lost his eye...

When he was a kid in church, this nice-looking woman with a dress on fell over the balcony holding on, and the minister screamed out, "Someone help her, but no one look up, or you'll go blind!".

"I figured, 'Well, it's worth trying with one eye'," and with that he put one hand over his good eye and made this look upward like he wanted to see what was up that woman's dress.

Then, we all laughed, and he said how much he loved to tell that joke.

No comments: