Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dog troubles.

A yuppie bakery has taken over the empty storefront below my apartment, 2 stories down, and just opened up.

Like the 1st or 2nd day it was open, I wake up at 7:40am-ish to a dog barking in a high-pitched yelp, and whining.

I was lying in bed, but it kept happening, and so I get up at like 7:50am, go to my window, look down, and see an unattended sheepdog mix tied to a tree outside the bakery.

I had a glass of water and stood around groggily, and the dog kept whining nervously, so I put on clothes and went down to the bakery (it was like 7:55am; this had been happening for like 15 minutes).

There were a few tables of people talking quietly, so I asked the counterattendant if she knew whose dog that was outside, and she was like, "His," and pointed to a guy sitting at a table with a coffee cup.

"Hey," I was like. "I live in this building, and your dog has been barking for like 15 minutes solid," and explained that I had worked till past midnight and had to go to work again today, and it had woken me up.

"Don't worry, I'm leaving soon, as soon as he gets his coffee together," the guy said, and pointed to some other guy with him.

"You know," I was like, "I've already had to tolerate your dog barking long enough, so hurry up and get your shit together so I can go back to bed. Dude, that is just not cool."

The guy said something nasty, but I left, and as I left, he was like 20 paces behind me in coming out the door, so as I went in the gate of my building, I called out to him, "And you're not being nice to your dog when you do that, either!"

At that, the guy said something nasty too, but I didn't catch it.

In retrospect, I should have asked the counterperson about the dog and if it was okay, since it seemed so upset; making it all about the dog's welfare and not mine might have shamed the guy more and kept him from being an asshole.

No comments: