Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tour of a women's shelter!

So, the day after I got in, before we took the trip north to my parents', I asked my friend if I could see the shelter where she worked, since she just got the job and has been putting in 60-70 hour weeks and I've been hearing a lot about it.

She had to go there, so I went with her and her sister, and got a tour; it was a big operation, with 22 staff, a shitload of offsite properties, a $1 million a year budget, and rooms of supplies (food, bed things, clothes, etc.).

It's also on the 1st floor of a Masonic building, and she said that the 2nd floor which they keep locked, someone has a key to, and she's been there and said it's all velvet curtains and satanic-looking wood carvings.

Before we left, I told her athletic director husband, "I can't wait for a tour," and did an imitation of his wife, "'This is the phone where I make conference calls, and this is a woman with a black eye.'"

He laughed, and she never heard it. Before she took me and her sister into the shelter, though, she was like, "Ok, [my name], remember, no jokes."

No comments: