Thursday, January 12, 2012

Story from my hometown: Trial.

When I asked my mom about anything that had been happening lately in my hometown, she was like, "You'd like this, but you better shut up about it."

She then said that an older (of course white) gentleman who was a long-time member of the big evangelical church in my town had gotten in trouble for molesting impaired women through his social services job, and when he went to trial, the church packed the courtroom and people would sigh and make comments and it was hard for our neighbor the judge to keep order, and one of the jurors lied and said he *wasn't* a member of the church when he actually was, and our neighbor the judge found out and had to declare a mistrial.

"She is *pissed*," my mom was like, and said that she was considering bringing the juror up on perjury charges.

Later, I asked my one friend who runs the women's shelter's dad, who is retired from the county court system, if he had heard about that trial.

He had just heard there was a mistrial, but he said that the guy who was on trial didn't work in an impaired home, rather he worked in social services and would make "calls" on Saturdays and Sundays to single mothers, purportedly for work, but instead to try to get them to sleep with him... The guy had a wife and had been married for a long time, too.

"And that is CSC," he was like, talking about the guy's weekend visits to single moms.

"No that's not!" one of my friend's dads adult children was like, and they got into a big debate about what constitutes criminal sexual conduct...

You can tell they had a lot of conversations like this when everyone was growing up, it seems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously knows you well

el blogador said...

You mean that I'd like the news, or that I'm liable to talk?