Saturday, January 21, 2012

3 bars (2 of 3): Bar I've never been.

When I was leaving the bar, I was joking with the doorman about the huge ornate church just down the street, which is the city's Opus Dei church.

"Ever get any of them in here?", I was like.

"Nah," he was like.

"Well," I was like, "You should be glad, because they're scarier than ghosts, and real!"

I then changed the subject to where exactly this other bar was, where there was this older woman who had a heart of gold and was built like a trucker and would physically throw you out if she didn't like you.

"She actually passed away a year-and-a-half ago," he was like, after telling me that the bar was just up a block and a block over. "I went to her funeral, it was actually up there, she'd gone to that church all her life."

He then proceeded to tell me that she lived above her bar just like the WWII vet had lived above the bar he worked at, but the Opus Dei priest didn't like that, and so at her funeral just shit on her because she owned a bar and said we'd have to pray and there was always purgatory, if someone didn't get to heaven right away because of their earthly activities.

No comments: