Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gamblin'.

The other day at my lesson with the lawyer who's learning Greek, in our chit-chat before the lesson the subject of slot machines somehow came up, and I told the story of how there's bars in the city where they have them "For Entertainment Purposes Only", but the regulars play them and the bartender marks what they get, and then every once in a while pays them out from a till behind the counter.

"Maybe I shouldn't tell you that because you're a lawyer who works for the city, though," I was like.

"Oh no, it's okay," he was like, and then told me how for years there was this one building you'd pass by on the elevated train, and if you looked in this one window just before downtown, you'd always see a group of people playing cards, no matter what time of day.

No comments: