Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'm *not* a Wisconsinite.

Whenever I'm in Wisconsin, I feel like I really don't belong there.

A good portion of the population is just plain suspicious of anyone not from the state.

For example, when I was at the campaign office, some people were friendly, but a few people (notably guys) wouldn't keep up small-talk with me, even though they would do the same with other volunteers they didn't know. For example, one guy was telling me about how he came to the city I live in with his photography club, etc., and we were talking about public transportation cutbacks, etc., but the conversation was very stop-and-go and very stilted, and I had the feeling that he was sizing me up as an outsider the entire time, and that's where his thoughts were, not on the conversation.

A friend who now lives in Milwaukee and has for a few years said it's hard to break into (late 20s/early 30s) social circles there, since most of the city is people who went to high school together and then to college and then all moved there together as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though you're from the neighboring state of Iowa, it may just be that (white) guys *generally* don't respond to you as well as certain other demographic groups.