Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Bar from the High 210s (II of II): Hipster customer service.

So, at the same bar, I ended up having some shitty customer service.

After I get the wine/beer lists, from this smarmy (white) guy with big curly brown hair and a blue long-sleeve shirt on unbuttoned to show chest hair, I make my choice, then close the list book and catch his eye.

"Just one minute," he says, "I'll be with you."

Then, he does some stuff - so far so good - but then he sets a beer bottle on the counter by the customer next to me (who I do not yet realize is Catalan), and the Catalan asks him what it is, and the guy just sits up at the counter telling him how it's this new beer, and where it's from, and what it's like, etc., when I still have no drink and am obviously watching him chit-chat with a customer who already has one, and who he could have told, "Wait one sec, then I'll tell you," and gotten my order from me.

Whatever, but at the end of the night, I go to pay my bill for the $8 beer (it was a very very good craft beer made in small batches from a Brooklyn brewery, and totally worth the money), I ask if they have a credit card minimum, and the same smarmy (white) guy is like, "No, but for eight dollars? We appreciate cash," which is understandable, but he could have said that in such a nicer, non-snotty way.

So, I paid cash, but left no tip, even though he was one of the owners, it turns out, and was the reason why the Catalan goes there (he knew him as a waiter at a wine bar in a different part of the city, and every once in a while stops by the business he and friends started).

...the worst customer service across the city is from places run by hipsters, I'm thinking of writing up a review giving 5 recent examples and trying to publish it in a free newspaper here in the city... that'd be kind of awful, but I'd have funny anecdotes, and the businesses kind of deserve it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea. Poor customer service deserves to be documented.