Monday, August 8, 2011

3 beach conversations (2 of 3): A (black) man.

Like a couple weeks later, I was down there again, and had locked my bike up on the same bench because the bike rack was full, and when I went to go get it off, there was a (black) man there in a dirty t-shirt smoking.

We both said good evening, then we started talking about what a nice evening it was.

Anyways, it turns out there's a little scenic building nearby that the Parks District rents out for weddings and events, and the guy has been the building manager there for the past 5 years.

"I'm always around here," he was like, "5 days a week during the summer."

When I said I don't think I had ever seen him at the park before, he said that's because a lot of times he's busy, and when he's not, he's taking a nap in the building somewhere.

He also was telling me about the building, and how there's this huge empty basement beneath it, though there's no indications from the outside.

He was also also telling me about how they have this nice kitchen where the caterers set up, and how it's reasonable to rent the building, but you have to choose from a given list of caterers, and that's where it starts getting expensive.

No comments: