Monday, May 30, 2011

A (black) person story (II of II): Train ride.

The other morning going in the train was coasting in as I ran up to the platform, and just ran inside as the one eccentric conductor announced over the loudspeakers, "Doors closing, so be careful, speedy!"

He made jokes all the time I was on the train like he has other times I've been on it, including saying stuff like, "Doors closing, peace be with you."

I also noticed people waved to him as they passed by him on the platform after getting off.

When I got off the platform, the guy was leaning out the window and checking to make sure everyone was proceeding off in an orderly manner, and he was this (black) guy in an old-style conductor's hat and big black sunglasses and a smile, and I was like, "Have a good morning!" as I walked past him, and he reached out to shake my hand.

No comments: