Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Wisconsin Odyssey (III of IV or so): Signs.

This was my sign I made up for the rally:

EXPLOIT-O-NOMIC$

BOUGHT POLITICIANS =
BREAKS FOR BANKERS +
WORSE FOR
HARD-WORKING AMERICANS

(with "exploit-o-nomics" in an ugly green and "Americans" in red white and blue).

For my friend from high school (at her request), I made up a sign playing on the Wisconsin's motto "Forward":

BACKWARD,
WISCONSIN?

For her coworker/friend who we picked up to go to the rally with, we made up a list of businesses to boycott (a number of people had signs like that, and someone had propped up a "patronize credit unions" sign in tree outside the M&I Bank branch near the Capitol [that bank helped with Walker's campaign]),

My favorites signs, though were -

DON'T FORGET:
SET YOUR CLOCK
BACK 50 YEARS

- and -

(with green shamrocks and a picture of St. Patrick)

I-RISH ST. PATRICK
WOULD DRIVE THE SNAKES
OUT OF MADISON

- and -

(taped on the walker of this sweet old [white] woman standing by the edge of the rally)

THIS IS THE ONLY WALKER
I TRUST IN MADISON

There were also quite a few signs referencing the Koch brothers (including some actors set up in the back of a truck who were dressed up in top hats with signs over the necks saying they were the Koch brothers, and pulling the strings of a Walker puppet), and quite a few signs reminding people of the April 5th Wisc. Supreme Court election.

Most of the crowd was very normal (white) people, with relatively few clear hippies or anarchists.

No comments: