Monday, December 6, 2010

4 things that happened on the recent visit of my one Dutch friend’s one Dutch friend, who is now also my friend (II of IV): Coffee.

When we went to get coffee afterwards, we were talking more academic stuff – he studies a topic close to mine, but specializes in a different period, so it’s always helpful to get his take on things – and I was realizing I was asking this serious question that must have sounded jack-assy and pretentious to anyone sitting around us, if they were listening (something like, “So do you think that previous treatments of the Complutensian polyglot bible have failed to fully appreciate its apologetic stance toward the text of the Vulgate?”).

Anyhow, I then added that I had been thinking that when I was reading this otherwise good book I had come across, and then found someone had written in the book saying the same thing.

“Did you check the book out of the university library?”, my friend was like.

When I said yes, he was like, “Was it written in pencil?”.

Then, when I said yes again, he was like, “I think it was me.”

No comments: