Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So nice to catch up with old friends.

So, the highlight of like my past month was that my one old neighbor from my old apartment building - the hippie-ish one who I volunteered a lot for Obama with down in Indiana - emailed like 8 of her friends randomly, to say that she was in town for 3 days and suggested meeting for dinner at this Persian restaurant if anyone could make it.

(She's in Mexico working a human rights job, gathering materials for suits on behalf of workers who are issued temporary work visas by U.S. employers who lie about the conditions of employment, bring them to the U.S. and work the fuck out of them, and then deport them if they complain; it's pretty appalling.)

In her email, which used several Spanish phrases (actually, she's always reminded me a bit of those hippie women from Sat. Night Live who say Spanish words with a pronounced foreign accent), she said she was engaged to be married and now expecting a bebe (with accents on both e's).

Her engagement story was interesting...

Her and some of her Mexican friends went to a rock-climbing festival, and on the way there they kept telling her about their friend Rocko or Rocky (forget which), and when they went in, they got some wristband to show they had paid admission, and her one friend joked that it entitled her to a kiss from Rocky/Rocko, and she brushed it off, but when she saw him, she instantly knew she wanted to settle down with him.

(When I asked her if she ever expected that she'd be getting married so young, she was like, "I never thought I would ever get married!")

Anyhow, they've been living together in this little casita that he's been re-finishing on his professor's salary from the local university (he's only 26 though too like her; the credentialling system for academics is different in Mexico she said), and she recently found out she's pregnant.

"We were so excited, we left the clinic without paying!", she was like.

They're thinking of opening up an eco-tourism business / hostel out of their house, since she wants to get out of the legal work she's doing; it's way too much travel, esp. with a baby.

The dinner was very fun, though I think the waiter was pissed at me since I noticed in small print you could get a soup/salad buffet for $9.95 and like half the table did that, so almost no-one ordered the $15-25 entrees.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your site, but honestly tell you that you need more for him to monitor those who commented with your records

Anonymous said...

Hello, you site is very funny he told me to cheer up .. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I like this site. Really nice place for all

Anonymous said...

Has noted. I will recommend to friends and acquaintances

Anonymous said...

Interesting for)) ff