Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Addendum.

I forgot -

After the meeting, I stopped through a bar in the (formally Swedish) neighborhood on my way home, and had a beer as I did a crossword.

Bars sure are different on this part of town...

This cook off of work, a young (white) guy, was talking with the (gay) (white) (male) bartender, and was saying how nice it is to have a bar where they know people, and he was sitting like right next to me, and the bartender within my hearing range invited him to the back to sample from a sample batch of a variant of their famous mulled wine they were cooking up, made with white wine vanilla beans etc.

Later, a (black) UPS worker who was off of work came through and was sitting on my other side, and the younger middle-aged (white) (female) bartender , who had a gravelly voice seemed and called me "honey", also invited him in my hearing range to try some of the new mulled wine recipe.

After that guy left, too, the 1st bartender asked the 2nd, "What is his name again?".

None of that made me want to go back... Forgetful to regulars, unwelcoming to me while they invite people on both sides of me to sample the wine... If I was a bartender, I would have invited me to sample, that's the sort of thoughtfulness and hospitality that creates customers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ginger Prejudice