Monday, November 8, 2010

Addendum.

When I was canvassing in my new neighborhood and it was 2 hours till polls closed, I was walking some turf going door-to-door, and would ask people I passed if they had voted yet. As I was on the one stretch, it was one young (white) guy who blew me off, then another young (white) guy who blew me off, and then this fattish younger (black) mom with a baby carriage who looked really, really tired, but as soon as I asked her if she had voted, she was like, "This morning!", and said that proudly, like so many (black) people do.

(The older ones sometimes tell me they couldn't vote for a long time, and now that they can, nothing will keep them from it.)

Then, when I said that this election was making me nervious, she was like, "Me too, I am so scared, I hope everything will be all right!", and when I nodded, she added, "I hope it will," in just this really sad, serious tone, so I was like, "I got to go, but let me give you hug," and I did and patted her on the back, and she just laughed and hugged me and was like, "Thanks!", and we both turned to go.

The best part was that she was just about to jaywalk on this long stretch of street without crosswalks, so we did this all right on the side of the street, since I had started talking to her when she was standing in an empty parking space with the baby carriage waiting for a big enough gap in traffic to cross.

No comments: