Sunday, September 5, 2010

One thing I really love about West Africa...

Oddly enough, it's really a cinematic culture!

I was thinking of this the other week when I went to go see a Senegalese movie about 7 passengers taking a cab for 200km together, which has musical numbers. The whole thing was so fresh and fun, like the whole first number was the cab driver getting together 6 passengers and everyone deciding whether to wait around for a 7th passenger to show up, or to all chip in and pay for the seat of the 7th person and go sooner.

"I remember, when I was in Ouagoudougou" (sp? - the capital of Burkina Fasso) that there were 3 major cinemas for the city and they each had like 2-3 screens and showed movies from like 9am until 10pm at night, many of them really interesting local things like a documentary about JPII trying to find apparitions of the Virgin Mary for every nation in West Africa so they'd all have a national saint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like bread and circus to me.