Monday, June 28, 2010

Yet another black woman story...

I was talking with a Latin teacher from my program and she was saying how she went to D.C. public schools for a while but had a horrific experience and ended up making her parents put her in a private school.

And, to illustrate, she told a couple stories, including about this one (black) teacher who had emphysema (sp.?) and didn't smoke in class or anything like that, but was severely sick and would come to class a couple days a week and didn't teach, but just showed up so she could keep her health insurance.

"The only thing she ever taught us," the girl was like, "is that one day she said, 'let me tell you the three most important things in life'" - and at this the girl telling the story counted off on her fingers and imitated the teacher in a very serious and enunciating voice, nodding her head emphatically - 'Stay black, stay black stay black.'"

"Wow," I was like, "That's awesome," and when my fellow Latin program student looked at me funny, I was like, "But there's a lot to that!", though I don't think she was convinced.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

How did you respond when your teachers told you that?