Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Met a Greek person.

The other day I met a Greek student who's doing a degree in finance. Like always, I know how to make international friends quickly...

He was upset about some $100 parking ticket he got (he parked too close to a fire hydrant), and when I told him to think long-term, and that once he's out with his finance degree, $100 will be nothing, he said that that would be true, but he'll be working for the government, and salaries are very low.

"And that's if they tell you the truth about how much they're paying you," I was like.

He didn't laugh, and then I asked him more, and found out that the Greek government was actually paying for him to get this degree (he was a little older, maybe early 30s, and I just assumed he was an MBA guy).

"No way!", I was like. "Do they make you take a class in lying?"

After that, he was like, "Look at me, I'm not laughing," and he explained that it wasn't funny, that the Germans hate his nation, and I told him that that's okay, that Greece would find new friends, and that if the Euro declines a lot against the dollar because of them, that maybe those friends would be Americans.

Overall, he actually wasn't pissed off by my jokes, though he didn't find them funny. He was just really touchy about the behavior of the Greek government.

No comments: